Monday, November 22, 2010

A word about my work


A WORD ABOUT MY WORK

I am inspired by daily questions and answers, human expressions and beauty; the unreliable world we live in; human life and humour, fantasies and dreams. I paint/ draw imaginary figures; some suggested, some realistic; I enjoy abstraction and placing this figures in evocative surreal atmospheres, which allows for primeval myths to surface; their humour and questions.

In printmaking, I choose techniques such as dry point for its delicacy; etching for a more aggressive mark, and mono printing for the technique’s never ending element of surprise in mark making. I allow the subject matter, in all cases, to dictate the medium to use.

In paintings, I enjoy mixed medium, which so often results in chances “wow”, moments of surprise. I manipulate the subject or the placement of the subject in most of my paintings, in order to bring out the elements mentioned above: myth, humour and questioning.

My colleagues often remark on what they call my “odd” approach to colour combinations; I believe this add a certain vibrancy to my work. I also often use undefined shapes, which I achieve by approaching line in an abstract manner. I like to draw the eye into the depths of the painting; into strange, the depths of the painting; into strange, dreamy, mythological spaces; to afford the viewers moments of fantasy, and pleasure; to provoke emotions and feelings!

Since I am inspired by daily question and answers, I also draw on dark paper, using watercolour pencils, pastels, chalk, china marker and other light colours mediums. When looking at plain dark paper, I see questions without answers; bringing the light colours on top of the dark papers inspires me answers. So I use this medium sometimes to support the above statement, “daily questions and answers”.

No comments:

Post a Comment